Asparagus is easy to grow and when established will grow for 15 -20 years. It adapts to most soil types that provide good drainage. For permanent planting they are best dug deep in well worked soil.
The best time to plant is June to August, in a trench about 20cm deep and 25cm wide.
Gradually fill the trench up as the plants begin to shoot, allowing the growth to remain above the surface. We are selling two year old plants; no spears should be cut from them until they reach four years old, as this is when they reach full bearing. This allows the plant time to establish and ensures good crops thereafter.
You may harvest your plant for about 10 weeks after the spears appear in early spring. It may be necessary to harvest every 2-3 days.
Green spears can be cut before the tips start to open. For white asparagus the soil should be hilled up to 20cm over the row late in winter. Harvest the spears from below the ground.
Leave the fern to grow on until it turns yellow in winter, then cut off to ground level. Soil can then be levelled, cultivated, fertilised and made ready for healing up again in late winter before the new season’s crop begins.
Asparagus will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days after harvesting or alternatively, can be boiled for several minutes and then placed in the freezer.
Recent Plant Specials
- Citrus Orange Tree 'Washington Navel' 4L $49.99
Pyrus 'Cleveland' Ornamental Pear 12" Pot
Magnolia 'Little Gem' 7" Pot (Eco Grade) - Bulk Buy of 5
Prunus 'Cheals' Weeping Cherry 1.8m 12'' Pot
Lonicera 'BoxOz' 6" Pot - Bulk Buy of 12
- Peperomia 'Variegated' Hanging Basket $29.99
- Brachychiton ‘Queensland Bottle Tree' 16'' Pot $229.99
- Lagerstroemia 'Biloxi' Crepe Myrtle 20" Pot $229.99
- Fraxinus 'Golden Ash' Tree 4ft Bare Root $49.99
- Liriope 'Evergreen Giant' 3" Pot Pack of 10 $49.99
- Osteospermum '3D Lemon Ice' African Daisy $6.99 – $10.99
- Salvia 'Joan' $7.99 – $12.99