English Box is Melbourne’s most popular low hedge or border. English Box has dense dark green foliage. When trimmed into a hedge or topiary they have a clearly defined shape. English Box hedges and topiary create a truly traditional formal style garden. The advantages of English Box hedge and border is that it only requires one or two trimmings per year. It needs very little water and it grows in almost any soil except for a very heavy or poorly drained soils.
English Box grows in full sun through to the very deepest shade. In fact English Box will grow with no direct sunlight. English Box is the best of the low borders when you have a border that is partly in full sun and partly in deep shade.
Often people plant their English Box too far apart and they take forever to fill in. English Box tend to shoot upward instead of outward when they are younger. If English Box is spaced too far apart there will be upside down ‘U’ shaped gaps at the bottom of the hedge. One old English gardening book said to plant English Box 1 inch apart. At Hello Hello Plants & Garden Supplies we have found over the years that planting English Box at the rate of 5 per metre will create a dense bushy border in just a few years without making it unnecessarily expensive to establish a border.
The advantage of planting this close is although it can take a year or two for your English Box border to fully form you get a nice green tiny border immediately by planting 5 plants per metre. We mass produce English Box and sell it at the cheapest price in Melbourne to make a proper English Box hedge affordable.
In two years a 3” pot size will form a 12”-16” tall English Box Border. To get the best growth from your English Box test your pH and if it is below 6.5 use plenty of ground agricultural limestone. This is particularly important if English Box is planted in a commercial potting mix. Then top dress regularly with dynamic lifter or Devotion™ Time Release Fertiliser. Water well in summer and keep the base of your hedge free of grass and weeds.
ENGLISH BOX NOW ON SALE
Recent Plant Specials
- Peperomia 'Variegated' Hanging Basket $29.99
- Brachychiton ‘Queensland Bottle Tree' 16'' Pot $229.99
- Lagerstroemia 'Biloxi' Crepe Myrtle 20" Pot $229.99
- Fraxinus 'Golden Ash' Tree 4ft Bare Root $49.99
- Fraxinus 'Claret Ash' Tree (Bare Root) 5ft $49.99
- Fraxinus 'Claret Ash' Tree (Bare Root) 3ft $19.99
- Liriope 'Evergreen Giant' 3" Pot Pack of 10 $49.99
- Osteospermum '3D Lemon Ice' African Daisy $6.99 – $11.99
- Salvia 'Joan' $7.99 – $12.99
- Osteospermum 'Banana Shake' African Daisy $6.99 – $11.99
- Buxus 'Japanese Box' Topiary Ball 12″ Pot $169.00
- Buxus 'Japanese Box' 7" Pot $21.99